Monday, March 07, 2005

Spank him or he gets suspended?

SCHAUMBURG, Ill. -- The mother of a 6-year-old boy who attended Schaumburg Christian School in Illinois said school officials suspended him from first grade Wednesday because she refused to spank him for disciplinary reasons.

"The administrator ... called me outside her office and said that it needed to be handled. I said, 'OK, when I take him home, I'll use my form of discipline,' and she said, 'No, either you go inside my office and spank him, or I am suspending him from school for a day,'" Fallaw-Gabrielson said.

More...
-NBC 5 Image
-------------------------

IASSW endorses the position that corporal punishment is damaging and inappropriate; therefore, it must be prohibited in all educational settings.

MORE:

(LINK) Corporal punishment is physically and emotionally harmful to children. In some cases it results in physical injury severe enough to require medical attention.

Research indicates the use of corporal punishment is a contributing factor to poor academic achievement, higher dropout and truancy rates and an increase in incidents of violence.

My Opinion: Corporal punishment has no place in ANY educational environment.

Even More:

(LINK)

They are caring, compassionate, and strive to make a difference in the lives of their students. How can anyone call themselves caring by having their students spanked? Every family has their own way of discipline, but corporal punishment at school is inappropriate to every extent. My mom was hit by nuns every time she got a math problem wrong. She didn't start to understand it, but instead started to fear it. Physical contact isn't the answer in this case.