Sunday, March 13, 2005

Saved by the bell

Talk about lucky!

NORFOLK, Neb. (AP) - It's supposed to announce visitors, but the doorbell of a two-story house announced something else on Friday morning - that the home was on fire. A fire was beginning to spread from the outside to the inside near the front door early Friday morning, said John Reding, Norfolk Fire and Rescue shift commander. As the fire moved past the front door, Reding said, the blaze shorted the doorbell's wires, which caused the bell to ring a fire alert to the four occupants of the house in this town about 90 miles northwest of Omaha. More...

The sad thing about all this is that a simple discarded cigarette could have been the cause.